Helpful Moving Tips
Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move.
Book the movers. You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
If you Own your Present Home
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you Rent your Present Home
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any rent monies you have on deposit. The Tenant Protection Act states it is illegal for the deposit monies to be collected.
At your “New” Home
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get “Change of Address” cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.